“From the beginning, in our classification of Gironde wines, we classified those of Mr. Pépin d’Escurac amongst the Medoc fifth growths. We shall maintain them there, as in our view they deserve it, even if this far too modest owner wants to relegate himself to the class of good bourgeois growths.” Extract from the journal “Le Producteur” – 1839
Over the years, the personalities of the different owners of Château d’Escurac have shaped this fine estate that thrones on one of the highest hillocks of the Medoc.
Its very pretty 11th century chapel is a reminder of a previous rural, feudal and ecclesiastical life that has left its indelible imprint here. The Landureau family fell in love with the property and purchased it in 1934.
Jean, the grandfather, who loved horses, transformed the property into a stud farm and indulged his passion. His son, Jean-Michel, diversified the estate’s activities, developing the vineyard and taking his grapes to the cooperative for vinification.
Finally Jean-Marc Landureau, Jean-Michel’s son, inspired from an early age by his first grape harvests, decided to devote his life to getting the very best out of this excellent land.
In August 2017, Jean-Marc Landureau suddenly passed away and the property has now been taken over by his daughter, Anne, a veterinary student. She is assisted by the experienced team of Château d’Escurac and by her mother, Merete Løwig Larsen.
This wine-producing property belonged to Jean-Marc Landureau, who began to work at the château in 1990. Before, Château d’Escurac was a polycultural property with a few hectares of vine. Then, he took over and made it into a fully viticultural estate.
Jean-Marc Landureau created 4 wines: Château d'Escurac, Château Haut-Myles, Pépin d’Escurac and La Chapelle d’Escurac. His work, his perseverance and his passion led him to win the Crus Bourgeois cup in 1999 for his 1996 vintage. In 2017, he suddenly passed away. His daughter, Anne, decided to perpetuate his work, taking over the property.